Haridwar Travel Guide – Har Ki Pauri Ghat and Famous Temples
Haridwar is a popular Hindu city located in Uttarakhand. Haridwar is also called Hardwar. This sacred city of Hindus is known as ‘Gateway to Gods’ as well. Haridwar, being one of the seven holiest cities of India remains crowded with devotees almost the whole year.
Haridwar is more popular because of its location near the Ganga River. Devotees with religious beliefs visit the Ganga River to take a dip in the holy river or to perform immersion of the ashes.
Kumbh Mela also takes place at Haridwar after rotation of every twelve Years and Ardh Kumbh after every six years. The other three popular festivals are Vaisakhi festival, Kanwar Yatra, and Magh Mela when lakhs of devotees visit Haridwar and take dip in the Ganga River.
Popular Places to Visit in Haridwar
Haridwar being the religious city of India, has many temples and popular places to visit for tourists in Haridwar. The most popular attractions and tourist places in Haridwar are the Ghats of Haridwar and the religious Hindu temples.
How many Ghats are there in Haridwar?
- Haridwar has a total of 107 ghats there.
- As per religious faiths, Harki Pauri is the main ghat where devotees prefer to take ‘Snan’.
- There are three other important ghats of Haridwar which are also famous for ‘Snan’ and religious beliefs and doing pooja, aarti there. The three are – Gau Ghat, Ashti Parvath Ghat and Subhash Ghat.
Har Ki Pauri Ghat, Haridwar
Har Ki Pauri means footsteps of Lord Shiva. Har Ki Pauri Ghat is situated on the banks of Ganga River. It is the most popular ghat of Haridwar that witnesses thousands of footfalls on a daily basis.
- Location: Har Ki Pauri is 5kms from Haridwar City
- Airport: Jolly Grant airport is around 45 kms from Har Ki Pauri
- Timing: Har Ki Pauri Ghat is open to visit all the time
- Best Time to Visit: Weather is always pleasant because of the Ganga River at Har Ki Pauri. Only summer can be hot during day time, so avoid this time to visit.
Why so many people visit Har Ki Pauri Ghat?
Everyone has their own wish and religious beliefs to visit the Ganga Ghat Har Ki Pauri. But the three important reasons for which thousands of people visit the ghat on a daily basis are:
- Haridwar Har Ki Pauri Ganga Snan
- Immersion of Ashes at Ganga Ghat Harki Pauri
- Attending the Ganga Aarti at Harki Pauri
Haridwar Har Ki Pauri Ganga Snan
Having snan at Harki Pauri Ghat Haridwar has a lot of religious importance. People in any kind of pain and problems visit and take snan at Ganga Ghat Harki Pauri to wash away all their sorrow and miseries and feel like a heaven to achieve at this sacred place.
Immersion of Ashes at Ganga Ghat Harki Pauri
In Hindu religion there is a strong belief regarding the immersion of ashes in the Ganga Ghat. If the ashes after death are immersed in Ganga River with the last rituals at the Ganga Ghat, the person will get salvation. So, many people visit the Har Ki Pauri Ghat for the last rituals and immersion of ashes of their relatives.
Attending the Ganga Aarti at Harki Pauri
One of the main attractions of Har Ki Pauri is the evening Aarti. Attending the aarti at Harki Pauri provides the immense peace and the feeling of contentment. The Aarti takes place both the times; in the evening and morning. But the evening aarti is considered more special. At the time of aarti, earthen lamps are floated in the Ganga by devotees. The whole view looks very beautiful when thousands of diyas are floated together in the river.
Ganga Aarti Timings
- The morning aarti timings are between 5:30 am to 6:30 am
- The evening aarti timings are between 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Some other Popular ghats of Haridwar for taking bath/Snan are:
• VIP Ghat
• Vishnu Ghat
• Ram Ghat
• Kusha Ghat
• Laltarao Pul Ghat
• Pram Nagra Ghat
• Singh Dwar Ghat
• Pul Jatwara Ghat
Most Popular Temples of Haridwar
Haridwar no doubt is the hub of Hindu temples. It is believed that most you visit the temples in Haridwar, most you get free from your problems. As per Hindu beliefs, Haridwar is the place where you can wash off your all sins. Know all the important religious points to visit in Haridwar.
- Shri Mata Mansa Devi Mandir, Haridwar
- Maa Chandi Devi Temple, Haridwar
- Maya Devi Temple, Haridwar
- Daksheshwar Mahadev Temple, Haridwar
- Bharat Mata Temple, Haridwar
- Shantikunj Gayatri Parivar Ashram, Haridwar
- Saptrishi Ashram, Haridwar
- Vaishno Devi Mandir, Haridwar
- Bilvkeshwar Mahadev Temple
- Sureshwari Devi Mandir, Haridwar